?

Log in

No account? Create an account
With the French Open and Wimbledon coming up, does anyone want to… - Tennis fans

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> Sportolysis

May 17th, 2011


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
feather_ghyll
05:20 pm
With the French Open and Wimbledon coming up, does anyone want to discuss Novak Djokovic's run and how he's the one to beat, even if the points haven't quite caught up with that yet? How do you feel about the shake-up to the duopoly that's been at the top so very long?

(4 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


From:alisondh
Date:May 17th, 2011 07:04 pm (UTC)
(Link)
My head says that it's absolutely incredible that anyone can play as brilliantly as consistently as Nole's done, and can be going into the French Open with a 37-0 record, one Grand Slam title and four Masters 1000 titles for the year already, and also that the game's been dominated by Roger and Rafa for a long time and needed a shake-up.

My heart is broken :-( by the fact that Rafa's lost four Masters 1000 finals this year and has been made to look second best even on clay, and just wants him to be the undisputed world no 1 again!

I really don't know what to expect next. These amazing runs don't go on for ever - I remember Stefan Edberg beating everyone in sight during the hard court season after winning Wimbledon in 1990 and then losing in the first round of the US Open! - and also Roger's got to get his act together at some point and Andy Murray seems to be getting his act back together at last, but Nole is just unbelievable at the moment. It just kind of makes me sad because I love Rafa and it's been very hard seeing him lose those four finals :-(.
[User Picture]
From:feather_ghyll
Date:May 19th, 2011 09:13 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I haven't actually seen any of the matches between Nadal and Djokovic. I might be reacting more emotionally if I had. As it is, I'm impressed with the step that Djokovic has taken. Can he maintain it? He's going into the French with the huge expectation of the run now. But he's been able to do so much already. And it's exciting. But, as you say, Federer and Nadal can't be discounted (and Murray if he's consistent).
From:notice___me
Date:May 17th, 2011 09:31 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I completely agree with you. I know in my head that this is a brilliant run and that Djokovic is the one to beat but my heart just loves Rafa and I want him to be the winner.

I think it'll be a Rafa/Novak final with the Andy Murray as the dark horse so to speak. Of course, I never count Roger out of anything but that's how I see it.

Side note: What the heck is up on the women's side??
[User Picture]
From:feather_ghyll
Date:May 19th, 2011 09:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I do sympathise a little with your head and heart split :) May the best man win!

As for the women's side...!?!? I haven't been following the results that closely since the Australian, but what I've seen fits in with the fact that, setting aside Serena Williams, which injuries have done, it has been weird when you think about it.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com